As with any type of bonsai, even the Olive must be watered regularly and only when the ground in the pot is completely dry: to be sure just press a finger on the soil. If the finger has no trace of moisture then it is possible to proceed with irrigation. The frequency with which the Olive bonsai should be watered is variable and depends on the size of the pot and the plant, the type of exposure available, the season and finally the type of soil used.
During the coldest seasons, such as autumn and winter, more time will have to pass between one watering and the other, while in spring and summer, when vegetative activity is resumed, irrigation will become more and more frequent.
How to take care of the Olive tree
To provide the best care to the Olive bonsai must begin with the transplant, to be carried out always and only at the resumption of vegetative activity and then in the hot season. You have to extract the plant from the pot, and cut a third of the root system and then put it immediately in a pot more appropriate to its stage of growth. The pot must be proportionate to the size of the trunk and canopy of the small tree and it is always necessary to use a special soil.
Repotting should be carried out about every two years for the youngest olive trees and for adult plants, every three or four years. Pruning should also be carried out when vegetative activity resumes.
- Hello I just bought an olive bonsai of the height of about 30-35 cm in a nursery in Imola. I would like to know everything there is to know about how to treat the bonsai and if there are guides in the book….
- i have an olive bonsai that i found uprooted on the balcony for about 3 days and i don’t know how to save it is reduced badly pictoresque, the leaves are closed on the sextesse i tried everything I could to get…
- They asked me to choose a tree as a gift for my new garden, located in Legnano, in the province of Milan, so not exactly in a “Mediterranean” environment… As you will know, the winters this year are very…
- Hello I would like to ask you some questions regarding the olive:1) when you have to start preventive treatments for the most common diseases of the olive (olive fly – peacock’s eye – tinfoil etc.) …
How to fertilize olive bonsai
Properly fertilizing olive bonsai means growing it healthy and resistant, providing it with the nutrition it needs in nature. The ideal fertilizer for Olivo bonsai is the slow release organic-based one: it is mixed with water to make sure that the roots absorb the necessary quantity. Olive bonsai requires two fertilization cycles, in spring and autumn, i.e.
from March to June and then from August to October and the fertilizer should be administered once a month (four times during the spring, only two times during the beginning of autumn). During the summer and winter periods, however, the fertilization will be suspended.
The Olive Bonsai: Olive Bonsai exposure and diseases
The Olive bonsai does not live inside the home, it should always be kept outside even when the temperature seems too cold. Rather, you must prepare to face the winter by sheltering the roots, wrapping the pot with nylon. During the summer period, however, it must be protected from direct sunlight and kept in a sufficiently shady position: the sun’s rays can damage the health of the olive tree, dry the soil very quickly and in some cases can even cause burns to the leaves.
The Olive tree suffers from water stagnation, a condition that can cause the root system to rot.
Watch the Video
- Although it mainly prefers the external environment, the olive bonsai, as well as most of the fruit bonsai (from m
visit : bonsai olive