A succulent apartment plant, native to Asia and Australia, which is part of a family of over 70-80 varieties. It has fleshy leaves and stems, which secrete a sticky substance if cut; the leaves are oval, pointed, of a nice pale green colour, appear opaque as they are covered by a waxy cuticle. In spring and summer, it produces big and showy inflorescences, formed by small star-shaped flowers, also waxy, white-pink, with red centre, very perfumed, especially in the evening hours.
For these characteristics it is also known as porcelain flower.
HOYA BELLA DOPPIO ARCO real plant
Price: on offer on Amazon a: 22,5€
It prefers sunny positions, the important thing is that they are very bright in the summer is however appropriate to shade the flowers to prevent them from being damaged, specimens of porcelain flower are afraid of the cold, and in winter should be hospitalized in the house, anywhere in the house bright enough, do not fear the dry heat of domestic heating.
- Hundreds of species and cultivars belong to the genus hoya, all originating in southern Asia, Australia and Polynesia; the species Hoya carnosa is the most easily found in the voyages.
- Ornamental plant with high decorative value for the particular inflorescence that will delight the eyes and not only, because it will also affect the sense of smell thanks to the delicate scent. The hoya beautiful apartments…
- As for the wetting of the hoya, they vary depending on the season. During the hottest periods, it waters abundantly. However, it is a good idea to check the substrate carefully before using it.
- The plant called Hoya carnosa is native to the Asian continent and is characterized by the particular and original floral production. In order to obtain abundant and prolonged blooms, it is important to…
From March to October provide water in small quantities but very often, taking care not to let the soil dry too much between a watering and the other; with the arrival of the first cold decrease the watering to allow the plant to porcelain flower to begin the winter rest, during the winter watering every 10-15 days. Add to the water of the fertilizer watering every 10-15 days in spring and summer.
It does not have particular needs, even if it prefers sandy and well drained soils; if desired, it is possible to prepare an ideal substratum by mixing balanced universal soil, sand and acid soil in equal parts. It does not need frequent repottings, preferring the small containers and with little soil.
The multiplication happens by seed, using in autumn the fresh seeds, in order to obtain them it is opportune to cover the fruits with gauze, as when ripe they tend to “explode”, throwing the seeds in the air. It is also possible to make cuttings of stem and leaf.
Pests and diseases
If the water of the watering intrigues the soil, it is possible that the plant will be affected by root rot. Sometimes it is infested with cochineal.
Variety: H. erytrosthemma has white flowers with red edges, H. purpurea has red-purple flowers.
Porcelain flower – Fleshy Hoya: Beautiful Hoya
In addition to the fleshy Hoya, the second most cultivated and appreciated species of Hoya is the beautiful Hoya, a plant characterized by a drooping habit and smaller and smaller size than the fleshy Hoya. The leaves are shorter, about 2,5 cm, and of a dull colour, whilst the stems are thin.
The beautiful Hoya is always native to India and has the flower very similar to the flower of the fleshy.
As far as its cultivation is concerned, it is a plant that needs high temperatures and that in winter should be kept in an apartment because it is a plant that suffers temperatures below 10°C.
Choose a well-lit location for the beautiful Hoya but be careful in the summer, when you take it outside, not to put it under direct light. Often also for the Hoya bella are used metal supports in a semicircle on which are fixed the branches of the plant to give a characteristic arched shape.
As for the water, drink once in a while at the Hoya and in abundance, but between a watering and the other you will have to wait for the soil of the plant has dried because it is a species that suffers greatly from waterlogging.
- The fleshy hoya is known in Italy by the name of “wax flower” for the delicacy of its pink petals, so much so as to deserve
visits : hoya carnosa